09/04/2016

A* GCSE Art Sketchbook + Tips




GCSE Art last year, despite the massive quantities of coursework, was actually really rewarding in the end! Although it can be a little stressful, here are some things I think helped me on the way to that A* grade:





show a progression


It's important to show a step-by-step progression in your sketchbooks, from studies of artists you like, to photoshoots inspired by their work, through to sketches, experiments and a final piece.  Even if you kind of hate the work, hand it in; I included a little sketchbook of really bad drawings of characters from musicals in my coursework. 


use a range of mediums

Using a lot of different mediums (media?) like pencil and pen sketches, collage, and mosaics shows your willingness to experiment to find what works best. You could have a page when you draw the same image in different mediums, and annotate on the effect of each one. Also, if you can do some observational sketches in a gallery, do: I reckon examiners love that.



do your writing

 




At the beginning of my course, I totally dreaded seeing all of the writing in past students' sketchbooks! I didn't know how anyone could have so much to say on brushstrokes and colour use. But writing about the progression of your work, your research on artists, and what you like and dislike of the art shows the order of your project, and can be added in later on cutouts of paper.


do what you love


Of course your work is going to be a lot easier if you study artists you're really into. I'm in love with all things Disney, so I studied Mary Blair, and even a couple of illustrators I found on instagram, alongside older artwork. You could also make a short film, or a wall mural, or a mosaic if that's what floats your boat. 


 I hope this helped you out, and that you see something beautiful today :)


-L

No comments:

Post a Comment